A modern AV receiver is perhaps one of the most sought after categories of home electronics. We've got one of these receivers for review - Onkyo TX-SR444. Based on the characteristics and features considered, the model received a score of 4.8 on a 10-point scale. The overall rating is too low, we would not recommend choosing this receiver. In 2015, this receiver was released. An amplifier with 7.1 channels is one of the main model’s feature.
Onkyo TX-SR444 Pros
- ✔Bluetooth is now one of the key wireless communication protocols. In AV receivers, it is used for audio signal transmission or remote control. And it is in the model under review that Bluetooth support is implemented.
- ✔The presence of a USB port allows the receiver to play content from external media.
- ✔Dolby Atmos technology has been included in this model specifically to create a 3D effect when watching movies, which reveals all its features with a minimum 5.1 configuration.
- ✔With 4K/60Hz pass-through support, it is possible to pass data through this model without degrading image quality.
- ✔ARC feature eliminates the need for an additional composite or optical cable when connecting this unit to a TV.
- ✔The manufacturer claims support for CEC in Onkyo TX-SR444 and therefore you can control any HDMI-connected device using one remote control.
- ✔This receiver supports the data encryption protocol HDCP 2.2 which allows licensed devices to play high definition audio and video.
- ✔The reviewed receiver has a Pure Direct mode, when used it feeds sound directly to the amplifier and bypasses any DSP processing.
- ✔This AV receiver is able to use 2 zones to send a source signal to speakers or a separate audio system in different locations.
- ✔With the included microphone, the Onkyo TX-SR444 can use the auto speaker calibration mechanism to create the most suitable soundstage.
Onkyo TX-SR444 Cons
- ✖The receiver has not a function of wireless connection to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- ✖The TX-SR444 has not a phono (MM) input for connecting a phonographer or turntable.
- ✖Can not manage the DTS:X surround format.
- ✖Does not support for HDR.
- ✖HDMI eARC function not implemented.
- ✖AirPlay is not supported.
- ✖Onkyo TX-SR444 is unable to use Amazon Music.
- ✖Spotify music is not supported.
- ✖There is no voice control function.
- ✖Does not have an automatic power-off when idle.
- ✖Energy-saving ECO mode is not implemented.
- ✖Bi-amping is not available.
- ✖Has no speaker A/B switching function.