The functionality of receivers is expanding rapidly and radically. The review of Onkyo TX-NR646 will help us to understand the intricacies of this explosive progress. 7.4 points out of 10 are an adequate assessment of this receiver for functions and capabilities. The Onkyo released this model in 2015. The TX-NR646 is equipped with an amplifier that can handle 7.2 channels.
Onkyo TX-NR646 Pros
- ✔The receiver has a function of wireless connection to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- ✔Bluetooth is now one of the key wireless communication protocols. In AV receivers, it is used for audio signal transmission or remote control. And it is in the model under review that Bluetooth support is implemented.
- ✔The presence of a USB port allows the receiver to play content from external media.
- ✔DLNA is a feature that gives the receiver the ability to transmit and receive various media content over the home network, as well as display it in real time.
- ✔Like any modern receiver, TX-NR646 has a Phono (MM) input for connecting a phonograph or turntable.
- ✔Dolby Atmos technology has been included in this model specifically to create a 3D effect when watching movies, which reveals all its features with a minimum 5.1 configuration.
- ✔Onkyo TX-NR646 with an adaptive and flexible DTS:X surround format can support any speaker configuration, unlike Dolby Atmos.
- ✔With HDR pass-through support, it is possible to transfer data over TX-NR646 with a much wider range of colors.
- ✔With 4K/60Hz pass-through support, it is possible to pass data through this model without degrading image quality.
- ✔ARC feature eliminates the need for an additional composite or optical cable when connecting this unit to a TV.
- ✔The manufacturer claims support for CEC in Onkyo TX-NR646 and therefore you can control any HDMI-connected device using one remote control.
- ✔This receiver supports the data encryption protocol HDCP 2.2 which allows licensed devices to play high definition audio and video.
- ✔Can stream audio using the AirPlay protocol.
- ✔Stream music from one of the most popular services Spotify directly on the Onkyo TX-NR646.
- ✔This receiver consumes less power thanks to ECO mode.
- ✔Onkyo TX-NR646 uses bi-amping to amplify each dynamic in a speaker separately, resulting in clearer, better sound.
- ✔The reviewed receiver has a Pure Direct mode, when used it feeds sound directly to the amplifier and bypasses any DSP processing.
- ✔This AV receiver is able to use 2 zones to send a source signal to speakers or a separate audio system in different locations.
- ✔With the included microphone, the Onkyo TX-NR646 can use the auto speaker calibration mechanism to create the most suitable soundstage.
Onkyo TX-NR646 Cons
- ✖HDMI eARC function not implemented.
- ✖Onkyo TX-NR646 is unable to use Amazon Music.
- ✖There is no voice control function.
- ✖Has no speaker A/B switching function.