Most customers are looking to find an AV receiver with decent equipment, and an improved decoder with strong amplifiers and Sony STR-DH830 might be favorite in this question. We estimated the model 4.1 out of 10, after carefully reviewing. The overall rating is too low, we would not recommend choosing this receiver. This model went on sale in 2012. A 7.1 channel amplifier is one of the main features of the model.
Sony STR-DH830 Pros
- ✔The presence of a USB port allows the receiver to play content from external media.
- ✔ARC feature eliminates the need for an additional composite or optical cable when connecting this unit to a TV.
- ✔The manufacturer claims support for CEC in Sony STR-DH830 and therefore you can control any HDMI-connected device using one remote control.
- ✔This receiver supports the data encryption protocol HDCP 2.2 which allows licensed devices to play high definition audio and video.
- ✔With the included microphone, the Sony STR-DH830 can use the auto speaker calibration mechanism to create the most suitable soundstage.
Sony STR-DH830 Cons
- ✖The receiver has not a function of wireless connection to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- ✖In the model under review Bluetooth support is not implemented.
- ✖The STR-DH830 has not a phono (MM) input for connecting a phonographer or turntable.
- ✖Dolby Atmos technology has not been included.
- ✖Can not manage the DTS:X surround format.
- ✖Does not support for HDR.
- ✖4K pass-through support is not implemented.
- ✖HDMI eARC function not implemented.
- ✖AirPlay is not supported.
- ✖Sony STR-DH830 is unable to use Amazon Music.
- ✖Spotify music is not supported.
- ✖There is no voice control function.
- ✖Energy-saving ECO mode is not implemented.
- ✖Bi-amping is not available.
- ✖Does not have Pure Direct mode.
- ✖Has no speaker A/B switching function.