When planning to purchase an AV receiver, a future user is faced with numerous questions that cannot always be dealt with without a specialist. We will try to answer many of these questions in a review of one of the receivers - Yamaha RX-A880. During the review, we evaluated the technical characteristics and features of the device. 8.3 out of 10 - this is the estimate that we consider fair. The release of this receiver took place in 2018. The model from Yamaha can process 7.2-channel sound.
Yamaha RX-A880 Pros
- ✔The receiver has a function of wireless connection to the Internet via Wi-Fi.
- ✔Bluetooth is now one of the key wireless communication protocols. In AV receivers, it is used for audio signal transmission or remote control. And it is in the model under review that Bluetooth support is implemented.
- ✔The presence of a USB port allows the receiver to play content from external media.
- ✔Like any modern receiver, RX-A880 has a Phono (MM) input for connecting a phonograph or turntable.
- ✔Dolby Atmos technology has been included in this model specifically to create a 3D effect when watching movies, which reveals all its features with a minimum 5.1 configuration.
- ✔Yamaha RX-A880 with an adaptive and flexible DTS:X surround format can support any speaker configuration, unlike Dolby Atmos.
- ✔With HDR10 pass-through support, it is possible to transfer data over the RX-A880 with a much wider range of colors.
- ✔With 4K/60Hz pass-through support, it is possible to pass data through this model without degrading image quality.
- ✔ARC feature eliminates the need for an additional composite or optical cable when connecting this unit to a TV.
- ✔eARC is more bandwidth-intensive than ARC and therefore allows Yamaha RX-A880 to support advanced high-quality audio formats.
- ✔The manufacturer claims support for CEC in Yamaha RX-A880 and therefore you can control any HDMI-connected device using one remote control.
- ✔This receiver supports the data encryption protocol HDCP 2.2 which allows licensed devices to play high definition audio and video.
- ✔Can stream audio using the AirPlay protocol.
- ✔Stream music from one of the most popular services Spotify directly on the Yamaha RX-A880.
- ✔The main functions of this model can be controlled using voice control.
- ✔This receiver consumes less power thanks to ECO mode.
- ✔Yamaha RX-A880 uses bi-amping to amplify each dynamic in a speaker separately, resulting in clearer, better sound.
- ✔The reviewed receiver has a Pure Direct mode, when used it feeds sound directly to the amplifier and bypasses any DSP processing.
- ✔This AV receiver is able to use 2 zones to send a source signal to speakers or a separate audio system in different locations.
- ✔With the included microphone, the Yamaha RX-A880 can use the auto speaker calibration mechanism to create the most suitable soundstage.
Yamaha RX-A880 Cons
- ✖Yamaha RX-A880 is unable to use Amazon Music.
- ✖Has no speaker A/B switching function.